|Two of the "Sailing Stones"|
|An example of a 90o turn by a Sailing Stone|
The Sailing Stones are a really bizarre phenomena, and an incredibly rare one. Without more data, it's hard to say what causes their strange behavior. Some scientists have suggested training cameras and other recording equipment on this peculiar valley, in an attempt to actually see what's going on. Until then, though, the moving rocks of Death Valley remain a mysterious curiosity, just another example of how weird and amazing our world can be.
Sources and More Information
The first three articles provide paranormal/supernatural speculation. The last three are scientific articles about the Sailing Stones and the Racetrack Playa.
- Scienceray: The Mysterious Sailing Stones
- Unexplainable.net: The Sailing Stones of Death Valley
- PSIRO: Sailing Stones of Death Valley
- Science Articles: Icy theory explains strange sliding stones
- Sailing Stones on Racetrack Playa
D. Bacon, T. Cahill and T. A. Tombrello
The Journal of Geology, Vol. 104, No. 1 (Jan., 1996), pp. 121-125
- The Sliding Rocks of Racetrack Playa, Death Valley National Park, California
Doctorial Dissertation, 1998